Git Branching Strategies: GitHub Flow
In this post I woud like to talk about GitHub Flow branching strategy:
- Main diagram of the workflow:
- It’s a branch-based workflow mostly targeting projects where deployments are made regularly. In other words, it’s more suitable for continuos deployment environments.
- There’s only one rule about branching: anything in the master branch is always deployable. Because of this, it’s extremely important that your new branch is created off of master when working on a feature or a fix.
- Branch names should be descriptive
- Once the changes are done, create a pull request.
- Discuss the pull request and apply changes where necessary
- Merge into master and deploy straight away